From an early age, I have been a prolific artist who basks in the spirit of creativity. My work takes a critical view of social, political and cultural issues, while simultaneously playing to man’s innate desire for beauty, poetry, and seduction.I began my artistic path with the self-study of the European masters. This study resulted in works on canvas, such as landscapes, still life, and portraits. Soon thereafter, I developed an interested in various three-dimensional media, beginning with clay. The primary subject matter of my works during this phase was that of the human form.
In the late 1990’s, I became intrigued with the malleable, luminous properties of glass. Since 2000, I have been working in fused glass. Another turn in my creative pursuit happened during the down turn of the 2008-09 recession. Stay strong in what you believe is right. The thrust of my present work in this medium is the continuation of a seven-year journey of the production of string instruments. The instruments - electric guitars and classical string instruments, adding to vast and unique contemporary American art and culture.
About Gary Word
Born in Olympia, WA, Gary Word has received recognition in the United States and Canada for his works, which range from small-scale pieces in traditional media to large-scale residential and commercial interior and exterior projects. He has shared his knowledge and stages of artistic and career development with audiences at the Department of Art at U.C.L.A. and at a job fair at Highline Community College Seattle .
Since 2000, his primary medium has been fused glass. His study of the instruments of master luthiers, as well as those of contemporary makers, combine with his interest in science and engineering, has led to the continuous production of fused glass electric guitars as well as members of the violin family. These intriguing instruments have been tested and certified by professional players and heard in concert throughout the region.His latest work, the Glass Odyssee Series, features these playable fused glass instruments ranging from classical instruments including the Cello, Violin and Viola, to more contemporary instruments.
Works in Collections
- Nordstrom Retail Stores in Seattle, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C.
- Emerson Corporation, San Francisco
- Bank of America Regional Office Los Angeles
- Verizon Communications, Everett,WA
- Nordstrom Gallery, Kirkland, WA
- Proctor & Gamble Co. Bellevue, WA
- Qwest Communications Bellevue, WA
- First National Bank Olympia, WA
- Norsport, Inc. Bellevue, WA
- Mande l& Pacific Design, Los Angeles
- Attachmate, Inc. Bellevue, WA
- Sunstrand Corporation San Francisco
- L. Kaufman Chiropractic, Inc., Seattle
- Stanley Morgan Investments, Bellevue, WA
- John Bradley, C.E.O.,U.P.S, Los Angeles
- Dolin’s Home Fashions, Inc., Aspen, CO
- and many more